Worried about losing your natural teeth while playing soccer? Don’t worry; you can now replace them with replacement teeth supported by implants.
They are a restoration method intended to give you the feeling and the functionality of natural teeth. Like natural teeth, you would then need to take proper care and give proper attention to the implants by regularly brushing and flossing them, by having them regularly checked and by cleaning them properly.
So how do these implants actually work:
- Dental implants are made of titanium. They are usually a cylindrical post. They are fitted directly into the jawbone.
- After the implants have been surgically placed, the healing process will begin. The implant will naturally then blend with the jawbone during the healing time. Hence before an implant is placed, the dentist checks if you have enough jaw bone to support the implant.
The two will then coalesce to form a strong support system for the replacement teeth. This time can vary from weeks to months depending on the kind of implant you are opting for.
You can continue with your day to day activities during this interim period without any hassles or worries.
- This would then followed by putting the abutment over the implant. The intention of the abutment is to connect the new foundation with the replacement tooth/teeth.
- Then the teeth or dentures are placed by fixing them to the abutment.
Dental Implants – How Useful Are They?
Tooth loss is an alarming problem. About 69% of adults in the age group of 35-44 have reported tooth loss. Tooth loss does not only have implications for the oral hygiene but also has nutritional implications.
You cannot eat properly. You cannot chew properly. You are prone to infections, gum problems, pain and cancer. Hence you need to look for alternatives to maintain proper oral health and nutrition and to prevent life threatening conditions. Implants are definitely an alternative to look for in terms of popularity and in terms of the way it works.
Talking about popularity, about 5.5 million implant procedures have taken place in the year 2006. Talking about functionality and visible appearance, it is barely indistinguishable from natural teeth. However, a lot of people avoid implants owing to lack of awareness and misinformation.
The Top Dental Implant Myths
A lot of them misunderstand as to how these implants actually work. Here are the myths and we would help bust them to actually understand how they actually work:
- Implants can be painful: No they definitely are not painful. Conventional bridges on the other hand are a painful experience. The best thing about implants is that they take very less time to recover.
- Implants can’t be afforded: Implants if properly taken care of can last a lifetime. So you are basically saving a lot of money in the long run.
- Implants are usually not accepted by a patient’s body: This is a myth as only due to other complications like infections, implants fail to work. This is a rare case, and in usual situations, it always works.
- Implants need enough jaw bone: The jawbone can be easily repaired using grafting techniques. So yes implants do need jawbone, but then somebody without enough jawbone need not worry.
- Implants are not suitable for all age groups: If you think you are too old for it, think again. Statistics point out that there are no complications in fitting implants on older people.
Implants can last for years without a worry if you decide to give it the proper care and attention it deserves.